Tampa has so much to offer both tourists and locals. Sports, history, arts, dining and amusement parks, we have it all. I thought I'd share some interesting facts about Tampa that you may not know.
1. Tampa's first subdivision, Hyde Park, began in 1886. Today, Hyde Park is an upscale historic district with most of the homes renovated to their former glory.
2. The Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City was Florida's first restaurant, built in 1905. It's still a not-to-be-missed restaurant if you're here for a visit.
3. Ybor City was once the "Cigar Capitol of the World" with more than 200 cigar factories, which produced more than 500 million hand-rolled cigars annually. Ybor City is now home to many restaurants, shops and entertainment venues.
4. It can get very hot in Florida, but the temperature in Tampa has never hit 100 degrees.
5. Florida's first brewery, Ybor City Brewing Company which later became Florida Brewing Company, was built in Tampa in 1897. Today, Tampa Bay is home to national breweries and many microbreweries. Often times you will see Tampa Bay breweries on lists of top US craft breweries.
6. Tampa is home to the world’s longest continuous sidewalk, Bayshore Boulevard. It’s 4.5 miles long!
7. Tampa’s MacDill Air Force Base may be the second most important government building outside of the Pentagon. It’s home to U.S. Central Command, which oversees U.S. action in the Middle East.
8. Tampa Bay is Florida's largest port, handling almost 40% of all cargo going in and out of Florida. Four different cruise lines also use Port Tampa Bay as their homeport. Although it may be Florida biggest port, it's not the deepest. The waterway are on average only 12 feet deep. A 40-foot deep channel had to be dredged for ships to travel in and out.
9. Tampa Bay is the birthplace of commercial airline service. The first scheduled commercial flight flew from St. Petersburg to Tampa January 1, 1914. Today, over 1 million flights per year fly in and out of Tampa International Airport.
10. The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, owned and operated by the Seminole Tribe of Florida, is the world's sixth largest casino.
Other Articles You May Be Interested In
Are you thinking about buying or selling a home in Tampa Bay? Let me help. I am a Tampa Bay native & have been selling homes throughout Hillsborough, Pasco & Pinellas Counties since 2005. Put my experience and knowledge to work for you. Contact me today!